Monday 22 September 2008

What would you do

D has settled well into college. So far the work isn't stretching him and he is considering adding AS Geology to his timetable. Our biggest gripe is that he hasn't had a Further Maths lesson yet.

Why? Well it seems that the first module they do for the AS is Statistics 1. D has done this, and passed with an A, for his A2 Maths (Maths and Further Maths are two different courses, although the modules available are interchangeable). Now college have known he would be starting full-time there since November. They knew in February/March that he would be sitting the Stats 1 module in June. They've known since the middle of August that he got an A. They've known since 29th August exactly what his finalised course choices are. YET THEY HAVE YET TO DECIDE WHAT MODULE HE CAN STUDY INSTEAD!!!! They don't want to have this issue next year for the A2 so they need to decide what they will be teaching next year so that D can choose something else instead. Wouldn't you be a bit peeved that here we are two weeks into the year and he still has to do any maths?

I've told D that when he sees his tutor, who happens to be his Further Maths teacher, on Wednesday he is to tell him to sort it or I will lose patience and be in to see him - and that it won't be pretty if I do.

3 comments:

Annamae said...

Wow! When did this sneak up because you are correct it seems as though they should have made arrangements since they possessed the information to do so. How fustrating. You are better than I am as I would be calling his tutor and sorting it myself, but I realize that D is of an age where you have to give him the chance to approach the subject.

Just Me said...

Par for the course, we had the same with Harry, one phone call to the head of the college and it was all sorted by the next morning. They crossed swords with me 2 years back, they obviously remembered ;-) He is so far ahead of his classmates it is beyond funny!

Anaya said...

Ann - D is old enough to sort it out and he's been trying. I just think college should know that I am taking an interest in things and will not accept shoddiness.

B - Glad you got Harry sorted eventually. You have to wonder if any of these places are capable of considering the individual child instead of clumping them all into one box. Whatever happened to 'Every Child Counts'?

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.