Friday 18 July 2008

A little less tax for the Government to mis-spend

As with everything else these days the price of booze is going up. Why should I pay £5 - £10 for a bottle of wine when I can make six of my own for £8. That's right, each bottle will cost £1.67! Yippee!!! A return to the days where I can get seriously off my head for under £2. (Not that I would, you understand).

I used to make my own wine when we lived in Ferndown, Dorset, and I still have a lot of the equipment. So I set to cleaning and sterilising everything I would need to convert this can of elderberry concentrate to wine. The demijohn is now sitting upstairs in the airing cupboard and fermentation is underway.

I really must have a good look for my old Winemaking books. Mum used to make her own too and I remember the tea wine and the mixed fruit wine - as in raisins, currants, etc. I've got the urge to make them so just need the recipes.

It'll take about a month for the results to be bottlable and they suggest leaving them to mature for another 3 months! Somehow I don't think ALL the bottles will last that long ;-)

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Good for you Lisa! I'd be doing the same if I drank wine lol

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm, elderberry wine, my favourite! Sure we have lots of recipes...would love to make our own but no room!

Luney:))

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.