Saturday 10 January 2009

Update on the kids

Nothing for two weeks and then two posts in one day - just like the buses run.

D is away in a tent this weekend. Hopefully he has enough clothes to wear to keep warm. I did nag him to pack plenty but there's only so much a mum can do when their son is nearly 17. And yes, that makes us feel old.

D has decided to give up Further Maths. He isn't enjoying it and finds it boring. A & I weren't impressed to start with but we all discussed it and checked on the UCAS site (where all the degree information is listed) to make sure he wasn't hampering any future plans, so we said OK. He now wants to do a degree in Artificial Intelligence, part of the Computer Science faculty at various universities. The nearest place is Southampton, which D says is ideal as then he can save on accommodation fees. A is going to take him to the faculty open day later this year. I think it will be my job to take him to other open days around the country.

K is currently leaning towards child psychology. She is looking forward to college in September and would like to go to Oxford to do her degree. This week she bought herself the books disc for her DS Lite. It has 100 classic literature titles on it, including Shakespeare, Bronte, Dickens, etc. The font size is readable, giving some of these books over 11,000 pages. She is happy with it and is making inroads into Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. She also plans to read Romeo & Juliet fairly soon. Friend A told me that this is one of the plays being shown at The Globe Theatre in London this year. I'll have to check the kitty to see if we can go.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.