Saturday 10 January 2009

You don't want the flu

Trust me, I'm an expert!

The 104 F fever broke on Christmas night. By Boxing Day I was down to a manageable 100 F, and believe me it made a lot of difference. I got up at lunch time and managed to eat a sandwich, the first real meal I'd eaten since Tuesday. During the afternoon I played a few hands of cards with the family, making sure I was sat away from FIL. Then it was back to bed till the following day.

It took till New Year's Eve before I could face going out shopping. Over Christmas our dishwasher gave up the ghost - not funny when there are 7 of you to feed and wash up after. So on New Year's Eve A and I braved the cold and the crowds (what crowds, I've seen worse on a typical Sunday in Southampton) and went to John Lewis. Our new toy arrived 2 days ago and the kids are very happy. We are just waiting for the special offer pan set to arrive (out of stock of course). Needless to say I was very tired after the trip into town. However I managed to stay up till after midnight but had to forego any partying.

One thing I have noticed is that my memory is not up to speed. Someone at our local Home Ed group apologised for not sending me an e-mail over the festivities, containing some information he thought I should read. I needed a lot of prompting to recall that he was supposed to do this and what it was all about. I find myself getting distracted from the job in hand and then forgetting to go back and finish off - I now know how A feels as this is his default position.

Tiredness is still an issue, albeit diminishing slowly. I am finding it hard to wake up before 8.30. During the holidays it was 9.30 and more usually it was 10.00. This was despite going to bed and being asleep by 11pm.

I have been avoiding as much social contact as I can. My immune system has taken a battering over the last 2 - 3 months and I'd like it to recover. As I sit and type this I am feeling snuffly. Last night I sneezed a few times. No more illness, please!

This cold weather is supposed to go tomorrow. Everyone keeps saying that it should kill off all the germs. So how come so many people are ill?!

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.