Tuesday 14 July 2009

Swine Flu

My SIL has just been confirmed as having swine flu, having caught it from a co-worker last week. Fingers crossed (prayers, positive vibes - whatever floats your boat) that it doesn't pass on to other members of the family. Her daughter H has asthma and my Mum has heart issues (remnants of rheumatic fever from her childhood) so both are on the 'at greater risk' list.

Because of this we won't be going up to visit next week for our annual 'cheap' holiday. D is also asthmatic, though you wouldn't know it to see him, and therefore doesn't really need to catch it either.

My heart goes out to those who are losing loved ones to this virus. Not to belittle their loss, but more people die on this country's roads each day and we don't get our undies in a knot about that and start avoiding driving do we. Which brings me round to just what IS worth getting into a panic over. I dunno. I suppose driving (and it's inherent dangers) is an acceptable risk, something we accept whenever we turn the ignition key. It's a choice we make. However to be infected by a potentially fatal virus by someone who is 'toughing it out' is not something we can easily avoid. And I think that is the difference between the two - CHOICE!

So we choose not to get any closer to the virus than we strictly have to, and seeing as I had a particularly rotten bout of flu over Christmas I think I am justified in not wanting to feel that ill again for a year or ten.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.