Sunday 9 May 2010

Good things come to those who wait

Today, amongst other things, I decided to make a start on 12 gallons of home-made wine.  That's right, 72 bottles of the stuff for less than £20.  I didn't have enough demi-johns to put all 12 on at once but figured I could get 6 under way.  I started 4 gallons about a year ago and kind of fell out of love with the whole idea so left them to their own devices.  Today, two of them had no water in their airlocks - important for keeping the air out and stopping the contents turning to vinegar (wine + oxygen = vinegar).  So imagine my suprise when all 4 gallons are perfectly palatable!  They do need racking (filtering) off their sediments and leaving to settle for a few weeks, then bottling and leaving to settle for another week or three.  Should be ready for drinking by end of June.

The ones I started today are 'quick' brews, meaning about 8 weeks from start to finish.  So I should have at least 35 bottles to see me through July/August.  I will have to get some more demi-johns to make a start on the remaining cartons of fruit juice.  A friend has a birthday in mid-August and I have been asked to provide the booze!

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.