Thursday 19 March 2009

Did you miss me (again)

I've been busy - again! This time I'm decorating, with help from A of course. A new lounge carpet is being fitted next week and the current decor just wasn't suitable for the new colour scheme. So I've been sanding, washing, dusting, hoovering, painting, and swearing a little.

Swearing? Why? Well, you'd swear if you kept catching your flesh on carpet gripper-rods. The gripper-rods were exposed because I wanted to get as far down the skirting board with the gloss as possible. So now my hands have a few new scars. Fortunately the blood didn't get on the woodwork.

The walls? They're a rather nice shade of dry sand. The woodwork is glossy white, except for the doors - they'll be taken outside during the summer (we WILL get one, I have decided) and painted then.

And you can tell the difference! It's amazing how the sun fades white gloss, especially as we haven't painted it in the nearly 12 years we've lived here. (Sorry, MIL).

My next project is the kitchen. The cupboard doors are dark wood and, as the kitchen gets very little direct sunlight, they need lightening. A is unsure as to whether this would look nice or not. One day he'll come home and find out the hard way.

The job-hunting is still slow and labourious. I am applying for apprenticeships - there's no maximum age - even though the wages aren't great. At least I'll get paid to get current qualifications.

Tomorrow A & I are off to Nottingham to visit the family. The kids are staying here to show how they can be responsible and trustworthy. (I've already had to tell them NO SLEEPOVERS!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh decorating and the sun actually shone in the UK, what an uplifting week that must have been.

Hope the house is still intact when you get back...as well as the seals on the bottles of wine, hee hee.

Good luck with the aprenticeship thingy.

Doxie :o)

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.