Monday 26 October 2009

It's over!!!!!!

Yesterday was the Great South Run 2009 around Portsmouth and Southsea.  The weather was pleasant - sunshine and clouds, a decent breeze and 16 C.  Once again the intrepid Great South Stumblers assembled at the start line in various stages of preparedness.  Chuck and Tom did it in 1:15 and 1:19 respectively, leading us home, with Kamila and I bringing up the rear (of the team and just about the whole field) in 3:02, crossing the line together.

We backmarkers have our excuses.  Kamila's knee has started hurting if she runs too much and I sprained my ankle 2 months ago and it still twinges occasionally.  It had been nagging a bit last week so I decided to wear my ankle support.  This was a good thing insofar as the ankle didn't hurt once, but it was a bad thing as the rest of the leg went off in a huff.  Kamila thinks that although the support is just fine for general day-to-day stuff, it's far too tight for any serious exercise.  First of all the plantar fascia (smooth muscle that runs from heel to toe under the foot) couldn't flex properly when I jogged (only a bit, and only over the mile markers).  This set up a chain reaction.  The muscles along the shin bone joined in the nagging, then my knee started.  I was ok at 4 miles.  By 6 miles I was seriously considering quitting.  By 6.5 miles it had worn off and by 7.5 miles we were walking at a fair clip to keep ahead of the clean-up crew.  At just after 8 miles the course returned to the front near the Marines Museum.  And of course, being right by the beach, the breeze was blowing well - straight into us.  By 9 miles my whole right leg felt almost numb.  Various bits of it took turns to spasm with each step - sometimes more than one bit.  Believe me if there had been a first aid crew there I probably would have stopped.  But it was still a fair trek back to the flat so I figured I might as well carry on.

Just after mile 9 we were joined by Richard, Clare and Alex, who were spectating and there for moral support - THANKS GUYS!!!!  The breeze kept blowing me about - it wasn't that strong but I just couldn't brace against it enough.  I weeped and hobbled my way to the end, barely able to put one foot in front of the other.  But I finished.  Special thanks to Kamila for all her support.  I'd definitely have quit without her.

Then the muppet on the mike at the finish line asked for big smiles and waves as we approached the line.  HA!  Fat Chance!  Then he told us we needed to try harder, put more effort in.  If I'd had the energy to climb his gantry the mike would have disappeared where the sun don't shine.  I mean, we'd just done 10 miles and I was obviously struggling and there was he (thick eejit) wanting happy smiles!!!!  Plus all the first aiders just stood by the finish line.  Not one of them offered me assistance, just because I wasn't weaving about.  No, it was taking me all my remaining energy to concentrate on the immediate road surface in front of me and avoid any changes in direction and foot orientation because that was sheer hell.  Then to add further insult all the medium t-shirts had long gone and I had to have a large (really not a big ego boost).

I daren't stop moving as it was over half a mile to the flat.  At some time Rich had phoned hubby (who was just about to hit the shower after his race) and told him he was needed.  I have never been so happy to see A in all my life.  I collapsed into his arms and couldn't stop blubbering.  He immediately ordered me to put my fleece on and, after a few feeble protests that I wasn't cold, I did.  Looks like the almost-hypothermia got me again (got it last year).  I was still cold at 9pm last night despite a lovely hot dinner and loads of hot drinks.  And I'm still on the cool side today.

My knee was definitely the worst bit of me.  It got well-acquainted with the ice pack, yet was still very sore when having to lift the rest of my leg.  I was expecting it to be murder today but it's gone away.  Shame the hips and fronts of the thighs have taken its place.

Will I do it next year?  I really don't know.  Last year was tough but the day after I knew I wanted to enter this year's.  This year it felt more like an ordeal.  Today I have been feeling a bit down, my medal is just hanging with all my others on my wardrobe door handle.  Last year's was hanging in the living room for months.  I'll have to see how the training's going when the entries open next year.

And to cap it all I weighed myself this morning.  I didn't lose a thing - NOT ONE SOLITARY POUND!!!!  Now that really is depressing.

1 comment:

Doxie said...

Well done girl. You were very brave to keep on going to the end...Hang that medal up and be proud of your achievement.

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.