Wednesday 10 February 2010

What do you buy.........

........ a young man about to turn 18!

D, my little boy, has a birthday a week on Saturday.  He doesn't know what he wants.  Or rather, the one thing he does want he knows he can't yet have.  He wants his own car which we are happy to buy him, but HE has to run it - pay the road tax, insurance, service, MOT, petrol, etc.  Seeing as he is at college full-time he doesn't have the money for that.  So we're all stumped.  He's not long bought himself a new phone; he's got an MP3 player, he has a PC, he has enough clothes - he's not a fashion junky; he doesn't want his bedroom decorating - it probably needs it but he's quite happy as it is; his hobbies are messing about on his PC and ten-pin bowling - and no he doesn't need a new ball.  Oh decisions, decisions.

We did consider a driving day at Thruxton but then decided that he probably needs another 2 - 3 years on-the-road experience to get the most from it.  We're giving him some money to go out with his friends - he doesn't want a party - and I'm taking him up to Nottingham to visit family and have lunch with them.

I should probably be counting my blessings that I have a teenager who doesn't have a wish-list a mile high, but I do wish he'd want something.

PS  As for me, I'm working hard.

1 comment:

Doxie said...

Now that is a question and a half! I'm sure going out with his mates is one of the best pressies you could give him... so if you've any pennies spare, I'd go and buy myself and DH a bottle of bubbly to celebrate at home whilst he's celebrating out!

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.