Friday 11 June 2010

Doing too much, and other interesting insights

Maybe I was trying to do exactly that.  Needless to say, thanks to a good chat with hubby, things are a-changing.  I am reducing my hours at work down to 3 days and, once the exam is done (this coming Tuesday), 2 weekdays at home.  This gives me a 4 day 'weekend' to get caught up on all the chores.  It also means a return to some lovely home-cooked-from-scratch dinners.  And I'll have more time to catch up with friends.  And I might be able to find the time to keep this blog up, instead of letting it drift like I have for the past few months. 

You see, there was a rumour at work that my services would be required up to September and there's no way I can let my outstanding 'big' chores list (total spring clean, decorating, etc) go on till then.  So tomorrow, for the first time in many months, I will NOT be going shopping tomorrow (Saturday).  I've never liked doing that - too many people.  So I'll start going on Mondays (or Tuesdays).  I might even stop feeling guilty for having a lie in at the weekends.

I've also decided to stop job-hunting.  It's soul-destroying to get no joy.  I've had 2 interviews this year out of nearly 50 job applications.  Once the economy picks up, and there's not so much competition, I'll try again.

I have enjoyed my time at college and I'd like to do the Level 3 course at some point in the future.  However, I think I'd like a job in that field so that I can have some experience of what I'll be learning.  Plus the distance learning version will set me back about £800, once you've allowed for things like books, exam fees, AAT annual fees, etc, etc, etc.  Makes you wonder what you're paying the course fee of £670 for, doesn't it?! (Yes, the £800 includes this £670).  For a mere £650 I can go back to the Open University and do the next course on my list - M208 Pure Maths.  No extra fees (apart from posting some tutor-marked-assignments back).  Plus I LOVE pure maths. 

Right now I want to spend the next 6 years or so finishing my Maths degree.  The only issue is, what do I do with it?  Most people assume I'll go into teaching.  Not a hope!  I'd rather go into a research role - being left alone to discover new and wonderful things in the world of numbers.  Not much money in that, though, but a heck of a lot of job satisfaction, not to mention the absolute delight at going to work each day.

Anyone want a middle-aged, enthusiastic, willing to learn, number cruncher?

1 comment:

Doxie said...

6 years of maths because you want to...Oh to have a brain like yours!
BTW like the new look to the blog. :o)

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.