Tuesday 28 October 2008

Who ordered the rain on Sunday?

Whilst I don't mind running in the odd shower, I draw the line at constant drizzle. However I was in the Great South Run for a good cause, so I got on with it. I managed to run almost all of the first mile without stopping - a long way for me. Think that was about the time Paula Radcliffe was crossing the finish line.

My feet behaved themselves for the most part until blisters started forming at about 7.5 miles. By 8 miles my hips were protesting, but I was at walking speed only (and slow at that) by then. The last two miles were along the seafront from Eastney to Southsea Common by the Pyramid Centre. There was a cold breeze blowing constantly, which made you very cold very quickly. Foolishly I'd handed my fleece over to A at 6,5 miles because I was so hot and sweaty I was sure I wouldn't need it. Note to self for next year - keep the fleece!


Yes, that's right. D & I are already planning to enter next year's event.



By the time I crossed the finish line my arms were red and almost completely numb. My fingers were like lumps of flesh with a mind of their own - not good. I managed to collect my goody bag and quickly found A & D. Then I burst into tears - I had had enough and wanted to go home. A got me back into my fleece and waterproof coat then stood hugging me to try to get me warm. We walked slowly back to some friends flat where a hot shower and a mug of tea soon perked me up a bit. Then we came home. I think it took me till yesterday (Monday) to be properly warm again.

Here are the finishing positions and times (will fill in the blanks when I can):

I (friend K's sister) 4455
C (friend with flat) 4461
Friend K 10201
D (my son) 10985 2:09.04
Me 11486 2:39.35
Friend A 11530

Taken before the start with our other halves.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done to you all :)

Hannah said...

Well done Lisa - what a fantastic acheivement!

Anaya said...

Thank you both. Forgive the lateness in acknowledging your comments - have been off-colour.

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.