Wednesday 9 December 2009

The first of many, hopefully

I had a phone call at lunchtime today from a job agency.  Was I interested in going for one hour's training tomorrow and a full day (8 - 4) on Friday to man a company's reception.  Now normally I'd have said 'no way'.  I have some very poor memories of reception work back from when I last 'properly' worked full-time.  I wasn't allowed to take any of my real work with me to do, which was a shame because there was time to do some and it would have saved me the late hours/weekends I did to catch up.  All I had to do was smile sweetly and answer the phones, oh and tannoy people to call people if they weren't at their desks.

However, the hourly rate of £8 made me consider that I could at least try it.  After all, the equipment these days must be easier to use than that of 20 years ago.  Plus this could be the little acorn that my mighty oak of full-time, paid reasonably, employment would spring from.  So I said 'ok, yes'.  This company would like to build up a bank of people to step in to cover holiday/maternity/illness for their regular reception team, so there's a chance of repeat work - the next 10 days before Christmas sound rather nice  ;-).

Now all I have to do is find something suitable to wear - and work out how to pick up my dry cleaning from Fareham before the weekend.  For those of you who don't know me, my Thursday mornings are ring-fenced in stone.  My good friend Julie is likely to commit murder if I left, though she knows that is my intention in the long-term.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.