Tuesday 8 December 2009

How lemon curd can seriously ruin your evening

This post WAS going to be titled "What is it about Christmas that makes me want to bake" (and I bet you can see where this post is going).  Today I got the culinary urge to spoil my family with home-made offerings.  However my pastry-making abilities are, well, pants!  My MIL will attest to this.  So I cheated and bought some Jus Rol frozen shortcrust pastry, 2 lots of jam and a jar of lemon curd.

After tea (home-made pizza) I set to with a vengeance (and my Pampered Chef Deluxe Mini Muffin Pan).  All was reasonably well until the 2nd batch came out the oven, the lemon curd batch.  As usual A, D & K were like bees round a honey pot waiting to sample the wares - I have a great quality control department.  Unfortunately one of the tarts split apart and landed oven-hot lemon curd on mine and A's hand.  He seems not too bad.  My little finger has a bright red patch and is throbbing merrily.  Fortunately this means the damage is superficial and not needing a mad dash to A & E.  It also means that the 3rd batch - blackberry jam - will have to wait till tomorrow.  A is watching the snooker and the kids have homework so there's no-one to take over.

This is after the cake I made yesterday decided to crumble apart instead of easing out of its tin like it was supposed to.  Maybe I should hold off making the double chocolate pudding (chocolate, bread waffles, cream, eggs).

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.