Monday 19 May 2008

Big changes are afoot

I went to the big Sainsbury's at Hedge End today. I used a small trolley, not much bigger than a basket. It was beginning to overflow by the time I got the checkout. Imagine the shock when the bill came to just a smidge over £77!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no alcohol in that and it wasn't even a full week's shopping. If food prices keep climbing like this the obesity epidemic will be over fast - no-one will be able to afford to eat!

Petrol is now £1.14 + per litre and that's at the supermarkets, traditionally the cheapest place to fill up. We haven't been hard-up since before the kids were born but we're certainly feeling the pinch now. And of course the odd unexpected expense keeps happening. A's car needs two new tires, Scooby goes to see a physio tomorrow, I really need to see the osteopath (next week now), etc, you get the picture?!

So A has decided that if I could get a job he would appreciate it. I've offered before, many times, but he's always said that it wasn't necessary. Now it would come in handy. He's going to ask around at his place to see what clerical/admin jobs are going. I'd prefer part-time for a start as K will still be home educated for another year, but she's big enough to be left and can do basic housework - no, she won't be doing all of it, she needs to study more than I need a housekeeper.

I have enjoyed being a stay-at-home-mum and full-time housewife. We are such rarities these days. However, duty calls.

1 comment:

Annamae said...

Wow! Big Changes are coming every where is right. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.