Monday 26 May 2008

Slugs and snails

We've all been busy in the garden.

D likes to grow tomatoes but gets annoyed when the slugs eat the plants. This year he's planted some tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets to try to beat them, along with planting some French marigold to dissuade the aphids. He also found some hanging basket strawberries - now all he has to do is work out how to keep the birds off his fruit (when we get some).

I've planted some herbs in my new border. A word of warning here - the Curry plant is rather pungent and the smell clings to you, even after a nanosecond of contact. My car smells like last night's take-away. They're all in the border now so we'll see if the slugs leave me any.

I don't enjoy planting things only for pests to destroy them. Because of Scooby I can't use slug pellets. I've tried saucers of beer but they seem to prefer my green offerings instead. Why can't they munch their way through weeds instead, there's plenty of ivy that could do with eating up!

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Try using eggshells round the plants. That sometimes works.

Anaya said...

Knowing Scooby, he'll probably eat the eggshells. That's another reason why we can't use beer.

I've noticed my sage plant is looking a little 'picked over'.

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.