Tuesday 18 August 2009

Back in circulation

Did you miss me? I've been on holiday, nowhere exotic, visiting family in and around Nottingham. And of course I continued to wreak mayhem for the early part of the week. On Monday I managed to splash myself with hot fat. Fortunately the dish had been out the oven for a minute so the fat was no longer sizzling, and most of it went down my clothes instead. There's just a tiny mark on the inside of my forearm. Equally fortunately MIL (where we were) had a copious supply of aloe vera so the blister that began to form soon went away. Almost immediately afterwards I tried to fall over the table leg and almost ended up head first in A's lap (bad visuals, huh?!). I decided that my issue was being stone cold sober so MIL plonked a glass of wine in front of me which seemed to help.

On Tuesday we went to Skegness for our annual jaunt. For me it was a day of NO mishaps, breakages, electrical issues, etc. We all had a blast and came home tired but happy, until that is Mum told us off (in fun) for not bringing home any candy floss or brandy snaps.

Wednesday was K's 16th birthday. We went to lunch at Mum's local golf club, and were joined by all K's grandparents and cousins. The cousins came back to Mum's for the afternoon and tea. All 4 children - cousins and my two - played outside nearly all afternoon, so it was quite quiet in the house. We also realised that D sounds exactly like my brother, even down to tone of voice and his way of pronouncing certain words. Scary, eh!!!!

On Thursday A helped Dad to fit a new internet wireless router. D, K and I went into town to buy sweets - there's an old fashioned sweet shop - and call in at Tesco to pick up some ingredients for tea on Friday. D drove home via the back country roads, and handled himself very well. When we got back Mum's washing machine packed up. It looked like my jinx was back by proxy. She blamed A, as it stopped soon after the router was switched on. That afternoon she and Dad bought a new one. Then K and I went for a manicure and full-body hot stone massage respectively. Very nice. That evening A and I went to the pub with A's Dad for a few beers. I was deemed safe to drive and therefore designated taxi for the evening.

On Friday we went into Nottingham, and had lunch at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. A took K ice skating whilst D and I went bowling. K loved it and is now insistent that Daddy take her skating every week. Sounds like some serious daddy/daughter bonding time.

We came home on Saturday, followed a few hours later by my brother and niece. Niece had a special riding session in the New Forest, a present for her birthday from some friends.

Since then, I've sorted out (finally) a fundraiser - 28th August 10.30am - 8.30pm if you're local enough - for a local cancer support group that do a great job, taken delivery of next season's stationery and some of the new product for my job. Still working on where to put it all. I've also received all my paperwork from the tax office, so have to get that sorted out this week.

This week is just as crazy. I shall be delegating the driving to D, as he has his driving test on 10th September. He's more than up for it. Good job my nerves are. ;-)

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.