Wednesday 7 July 2010

What's going on at the moment

Yesterday afternoon I had another session with my life coach friend, R.  We talked about my future plans with particular respect to job-hunting.  I told her that it was on hold for now as I was having difficulty dealing with the constant knockbacks/no replies.  She helped me to see that there is nothing wrong with making big efforts to find a job then taking a few weeks off when the constant failure gets too much.

We also discussed my personal brand - or, the image I need to project to get what I want.  We have made plans to go shopping in a couple of weeks to look at, and maybe buy some 'sharp and professional' business attire.  Needless to say, A is already going a bit pale at the thoughts of it all.  I have promised to be good and be more Primark than boutique.  I am also considering getting my CV professionally done. 

The plan was to start job hunting towards the end of September, assuming that my current contract finishes at the end of August.  Well, this afternoon I got a call from an agency asking if I was prepared to look further afield for jobs - as in Poole or Andover - and the answer was 'not that far'.  Anyway, the job they sent me for 3 months ago (the one I never heard back from, and they never phoned me back about) became a different role, one which I wouldn't have gone for (and neither did anyone else who they interviewed).  This business have decided to fill this vacancy in-house from their sales ledger team, leaving a vacancy.  So, I asked this job agency to get me in for that one.  This agency don't generally handle jobs paying less than £14K (lucky them that they can be so choosy).  I explained to them that this is an unrealistic wage for someone with AAT Level 2 but no proper work experience; somewhere around £12K is more appropriate.  I repeated that I was interested in the position and could be negotiable on salary - apparently the company likes a bargain.  We'll see what happens.  I might just go on to the company's website direct and see what's what.  Looks like I'm in the job market again.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.