Saturday 15 March 2008

Back to what passes as normal here

I've been a bit under the weather for the last couple of days but am back to my usual chaotic self today. I blame Thursdays. Not any particular one, but ALL of them. Thursday is the day that our local Home Education group runs its Maths and English GCSE sessions, and I encourage two of the Maths students. I use the word encourage because I am not a qualified teacher and I do not teach in the traditional way. My role, as I see it, is to explain what isn't understood, remind them of deadlines for exam entries and coursework submission, and check their coursework, make observations on its suitability and content, and just generally crack the whip. If they don't hand in work for me to look at then I assume that all is well. I do check on what they're doing and comment accordingly. It's not onerous or time-consuming, yet I find myself exhausted.

My two students are very well-behaved. They just tend to find other things more interesting sometimes - like pulling silly faces at two girls who sit near by and who respond in kind. But, you know, I like them both - even though one in particular is needing some frequent whip-cracking. I really hope they both do well this summer.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.