Sunday 16 March 2008

Sporting Widowhood

For the last few weekends A's time has been taken up watching the Six Nations (rugby) - not just the England matches either. This means that any little chores or going outs have had to be fitted in round the TV schedule. Yesterday I asked for the TV from 5pm so I could watch the highlights of the cricket - New Zealand v England. At 5.10 I wandered into the living room to find A watching Wales v France (I think, they were in blue), so I wandered back out again and into the study to check e-mail, write some blog posts, and play Civ 4. Apparently I should have announced my presence as I could then have had the TV.

No sooner is the Six Nations finished than F1 starts! Now I don't mind watching that, up to a point. A likes to listen to all the innane chatter, you know the sort of thing "How do you think Lewis Hamilton will feel if he gets on the front row of the grid today?" mindless stuff that seems to be the height of serious reporting today. I like to get to the action and don't sit down till the grid has formed up. So anything I want to plan for us to do at the weekend will have to fit in round the F1. The things I do for a quiet life ;-)

Then of course there's the occasional ten-pin bowling competition that A takes D to. A has ten-pin coaching/instructing qualifications and is to be found most Saturday mornings down at the local alley helping the Youth Bowling Club. Our county association has a YBC tournament that happens every month or so at various venues. Then there's the South of England competition (January-ish), the Nationals (May), plus any others the club sees fit to enter.

Any weekend that has a bowling tournament AND F1 is a complete disaster as that just leaves Saturday afternoon to get anything done.

Yet I'm not complaining, not too loudly anyway. He's not down the pub every night, not working 12 hour days (fingers crossed it stays that way too), and he is very attentive at all other times - once I've nagged him half a dozen times about something that needs doing.

I wouldn't trade him in for the world.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.