Saturday 15 March 2008

A sad indictment on our society

Julia Hollander has been in the media recently.

http://www.lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,,2263328,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/india_knight/article3511898.ece


I am not going to get into a debate on the rights and wrongs of what she did. There is enough of that out there on the web as it is. My gripe is that the social services find endless ways to deny help to parents of severely disabled children - there have been enough sad stories in the news in recent years of parents at the end of their tether killing their children and, quite often, themselves - yet when that same child is placed with a foster family they are queuing up with whatever is needed. If the social services can provide and fund the services to the foster family then they should do the same for the parents. It beggars belief that in a caring, developed nation such as ours that this is the logic applied by the organisation set up to watch over the most vulnerable in our society.

No comments:

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.