Thursday 24 April 2008

He's back!

D is home and back on dry land again. Unfortunately he's left his balance and vertical hold back onboard. He'd stumbling round the house like a toddler learning to walk. Hopefully it'll be gone by tomorrow.

He had a GREAT time! By the time we got home (25 minutes, thanks to a small delay for traffic) my ears were crying out for silence. I learned that he and another teen had made vegetarian curry for 18 people on Monday evening. He enjoyed cleaning the head (toilet to us landlubbers). He knows quite a bit about sails - names, which mast they go on, what different bits of the sail are called - and can haul on the ropes to raise or lower them. He's steered the boat, navigated it, cleaned it, done all sorts. In fact, the only thing he didn't do was get time to be bored!

He passed his RYA Beginners Certificate and can't wait to go again to work on his Competent Crewman Certificate. Sounds like a really expensive hobby in the making. EEK!

I gave K a scare whilst we were fetching D. Some of the other teens wanted his e-mail address and, of course, I had to give it to them because he couldn't remember it exactly. I had my feet on the pontoon and leant across a couple of feet of water to lean my elbows on the side of the boat. K did NOT approve - at all! She was panicking about me slipping and falling in - no chance, I was hanging on far too well. When I stood back up again she grabbed me and told me off for being irresponsible and then wouldn't let go till I promised to behave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You old sea dog you! Wonderful to hear your lad had such a great experience, has he found his land legs now? As for K, she should know better, we adults NEVER behave, it's beneath us, growing up is for kids:)
Lunar (blowing raspberries at K)

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.