Sunday 20 April 2008

Spreading his wings part 2

D is going away for a few days tomorrow - ON A BOAT. He's going to learn how to sail, along with 11 other young people, on a boat run by the Ocean Youth Trust http://www.oytsouth.org/

I will be handing him over at 2pm tomorrow and collecting him at 12pm on Thursday. The sailing forecast seems to be fairly gentle so seasickness shouldn't be a problem. They also have RYA handbooks with details of all the awards that are available and what you have to do to earn them. The OYT staff sign each bit as you achieve it and if you get all the relevant bits signed you get a certificate.

Hopefully his teamwork skills will improve and he will achieve some of the stuff in the beginners section. D is looking forward to it. All I have left to buy are some thick socks to pad out his wellies.

Yes, I know he will miss 4 days of 'school' but what he will learn onboard will serve him better in the long run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahoy me hearties...make sure you pack the eye patch and hook too:)
J is disgusted, no 40k on Thursday then, is life worth living...??? ;)
Lunar

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.