Monday 7 April 2008

What is it?



I found this near the patio doors this lunchtime. It seemed 98% dead, barely moving, so after I took it's picture I pot it outside on a dandelion flower. It wasn't there later so either it had recovered and flown off or had been blown off by the wind.



It looks like a bee but the legs were more thin and elongated, like a mosquito. At the front there seemed to be either a very stiff tongue or a stinger of some sort. It's wings had either gained or lost pigmentation, and the fur down it's back was patchy - bee coloured round the sides but bare black down the middle.


Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bee Fly?
http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/beefly.htm

Love the blog!

Lunarsea

Random mutterings on whatever takes my fancy. I used to Home Educate but my little angels are at college now so I'm 'redundant'. I'm just writing about everyday stuff. It's mainly light-hearted but sometimes serious. No offence is ever intended.